There are many organisations and services available to assist carers, but it can be difficult to find them without a bit of guidance.
Carer Support can help to identify the relevant ones for you by meeting or speaking with you – please feel free to get in touch.
As a starting point, we have put together a list of helpful links below which may be of interest.
Carer Gateway – www.carergateway.gov.au or 1800 422 737 – provides information about the services and support available for people who care for someone with a disability, a chronic illness, dementia, mental illness or who is frail aged.
Recreation Link Up – www.reclinkup.ymca.org.au
Anglicare SA – anglicaresa.com.au/housing/homelessness-tenancy-support-services – tenancy support
Salvation Army – www.salvationarmy.org.au/en/Find-Us/South-Australia/Social-Support – social support
Enable Me – enableme.org.au – stroke support and carer information
Weavers – weavers.tacsi.org.au – one-on-one support for carers
Working Carers Gateway – www.workingcarers.org.au – this website for working carers in NSW provides access to useful fact sheets and articles. You can also subscribe to their newsletter.
Epilepsy Centre // www.epilepsycentre.org.au
Disability Advocacy and Complaints Centre of South Australia // www.dacssa.org.au
Disability Rights Advocacy Service // www.dras.com.au
Novita // www.novita.org.au
National Disability Insurance Scheme // www.ndis.gov.au
Department for Communities and Social Inclusion // www.dcsi.sa.gov.au/services/disability-services
scosa // www.scosa.com.au
Autism SA // www.autismsa.org.au
My Time // www.mytime.net.au // social groups for parents
Brain Injury Network of SA Inc (BINSA) // braininjurysa.org.au
My Aged Care – www.myagedcare.gov.au
Uniting Communities – www.unitingcommunities.org
Catalyst Foundation (formerly Seniors Information Service) – www.catalystfoundation.com.au
My Aged Care Guide – www.agedcareguide.com.au/?stateid=5
Life Care respite services – www.lifecare.org.au/respite-services
Aged Care Complaints Commissioner website – new from 1 Jan 2016: www.agedcarecomplaints.gov.au
Aged Right Advocacy Services (ARAS) – www.sa.agedrights.asn.au
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 569 467
- SANE Helpline: 1800 187 263
- Crisis Care (4pm-9am): 13 16 11
- Domestic Violence Helpline (24 hours): 1800 800 098
- Domestic Violence Crisis Service: 1300 782 200
- Yarrow Place Rape and Sexual Assault Service: 8226 8787 (24 hours); 1800 817 421 (toll free)
- Rural & Remote Mental Health Service of SA: 13 14 65
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service (24 hours): 1300 131 340
- Health Direct ‘Your 24 hour health advice line’: 1800 022 222
- Mental Health Resource Centre: (08) 8221 5166
- Blue Knot Foundation: 1300 657 380 & www.blueknot.org.au
Blue Knot Foundation provides professional phone support, information, resources, tools and workshops to help survivors of childhood trauma and their friends, families, partners and loved ones live better lives.
- Legal Services Commission – www.lsc.sa.gov.au – Free general legal advice by appointment to all persons, regardless of income.
- Seniors Information Service – www.seniors.asn.au
- Southern Community Justice Centre: www.scjc.com.au – First interview free to most clients. Ongoing assistance at no cost to eligible clients.
- Women’s Legal Services – www.wlssa.org.au
- Adelaide Benevolent Society Emergency Financial Assistance Program – www.adelaide.org.au/financial_assistance
- Anglicare Emergency Relief – www.anglicare-sa.org.au/emergency-relief
- Centrelink – www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/dhs/centrelink
- Salvation Army Financial Counseling – www.salvos.org.au/need-help/financial-assistance/financial-counselling
- South Australian Government, Emergency Financial Aid
- Carer Support Past Carers’ Information Booklet (Please phone (08) 8379 5777 to request)
- Checklist – Who to Notify When a Loved One Has Passed (Please phone (08) 8379 5777 to request)