Financial assistance

There are many government payments to help you with your caring role, with services and equipment.

Payments and allowances for carers

Click on any of the bold words to find out more.

Centrelink provides a handy payment finder to show you what you might be entitled to. Click here to try out the Payment Finder

Carer Payment provides financial support to people who are unable to work in substantial paid employment because they provide full time daily care to someone with severe disability or medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is a fortnightly income supplement for parents or carers providing additional daily care and attention to an adult or dependent child with disability or a medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged. Carer Allowance is not income and assets tested, is not taxable and can be paid in addition to wages, Carer Payment or any other income support payment.

Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment to help you with the costs of caring for a person with disability or a medical condition if you are receiving Carer Payment or Carer Allowance.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment to help families deal with the increased costs of caring for a child younger than 7 years old who has had a sudden and severe illness or accident.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual lump sum payment to help parents with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

Pensioner Education Supplement helps students with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

Payments to help carers with dependent children

Family Tax Benefit helps parents or guardians with the cost of raising children. It is made up of 2 parts, Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B.

Parenting Payment also provides income support to parents or guardians to help cover the cost of raising children.

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance provides extra help to pay for approved child care when eligible parents undertake activities such as job search, work, study, training or rehabilitation to enter the workforce as part of a Job Plan or Participation Plan.

Double Orphan Pension helps with the costs of caring for orphans or children whose parents are unable to care for them in certain circumstances. No income or assets test is required.

Other assistance that can help carers

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps eligible people with permanent and severe incontinence to pay for incontinence products.

The Essential Medical Equipment Payment helps with the additional costs of running essential medical equipment, medically required heating or cooling, or both.

Carer Gateway provides a broad range of information about services and support available for carers.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Carer Support does not specifically endorse any organisation, association or entity referred to in, or linked to, the Online Resources. Views or recommendations provided in linked websites do not necessarily reflect those of Carer Support and Carer Support has no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s). It is your responsibility to make your own decisions about the currency, completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability of information contained in linked websites.